Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Calls for Submissions, Contests, Events and Other New and Information
Publication date is July 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration. Please check out a few issues first and the Intro./
- 13-Year-Old Wows Classmates And The Internet With Slam Poetry Performance About Not Feeling â€œGood Enoughâ€
Olivia told us that the poem is an expression of â€œemotions and thoughtsâ€ she ... and with it your self-esteem plummets like a sinking shipâ€“down, down, down, to the dark and dreary depths below. You look at all of the other girls; your mind racing ...
- Great War poet Wilfred Owen commemorated on 100th anniversary of Edinburgh trip
It is there he met anti-war poet Siegfried Sassoon, who would become a close friend and have a massive effect on his work. Peter Owen, the nephew of Wilfred Owen and ambassador of the Wilfred Owen Association, said: "Wilfred Owen's poetry has influenced ...
- 700 Free eBooks: Fiction, Poetry & Non-Fiction for Kindle, iPad & Other Devices
If youâ€™re looking for a free read today, let us turn your attention to our collection, 800 Free eBooks for iPad, Kindle & Other Devices. Arendt, Asimov, Austen, Balzac, Baudelaire, Bradbury, Bukowski, Calvino, Chekhov, Clarke (as in Arthur C.
- Memory and poetry highlighted at Malaprop's
In addition, she published three modest collections of her own poetry. Gilliam wrote a great deal more than was published in her lifetime, and she wrote candidly about difficult subjects, but she also feared publishing some of her most revealing pieces.
- John Welsh, Ajax High School, Wins Provincial Education Award
Editors Note: There is a photo associated with this press release.
- Poetry as a motor driving humanity
However, today, Sho Sugita, a poet and translator who has translated these verses into English, will read some of the poems at Prairie Lights, 15 S. Dubuque St., today at 7 p.m. The Taisho era was a time of growth in Japan that marked a break from tradition.
- Making sense of Lewis Carroll's nonsense poem The Hunting Of The Snark at Grand Opera House
"I like to say we've taken inspiration from Lewis Carroll's poem, rather than doing a literal translation ... where it's all smoky, dark, industrial grime." Gemma has worked previously with writer Annabel Wigoder on plays with adult themes.
- Robert Frost Gave Me a Piece of Adviceâ€”but He Forbid Me to Speak of It in His Lifetime
(These inspirational poems will warm your heart.) His responses to the students seemed so natural yet so profound that I couldnâ€™t determine whether they were spontaneous or thought out in advance. His most memorable remark obviously was preplanned ...
- Poem of the Day: The Rev Robert Walker by Lydia Robb
Lydia Robb is not the only poet to find him inspirational (Edwin Morgan portrayed him charmingly), but Robb has fun not so much at the expense of the skater as of his viewers. Her poem was shortlisted in a McCash Scots Poetry Competition. Poets are ...
- Angelou, the girl from Stamps, gets her own stamp
STAMPS, Ark. (AP) - Not even a year after her death, a beloved writer from this small Southwest Arkansas town has been honored with her own U.S. Postal Service stamp. This stamp will be good forever, too, just as her writing is likely to endure for generation after countless generation ...
- We couldnâ€™t wait for Rupi Kaurâ€™s second book of instapoems. Was it really worth the wait?
Whether it is a drawing of feet arched in orgasm or of a woman pleasuring herself, Kaur is creating erotic literature in which young women can see themselves. The section closes with one of Kaurâ€™s most popular poems which says in the end, â€œif we can ...
- Hereâ€™s how the term â€œgothsâ€ went from ancient barbarian invaders to sad teens
What do you think of when you hear the term â€œgothâ€? Chances are, it is something like the South Park interpretation: misfit kids dancing forlornly to The Cocteau Twins and writing poetry, or, worse, the more modern, store-bought Hot Topic version of ...
- Poetry showcase comes to Palmerston North
Off the Page, a collaboration between Massey University and the Palmerston North City Library, features a poetry showcase with Hera Lindsay Bird, Bill Nelson and Palmerston North's Tim Upperton on April 7. Upperton said the event would provide ...
- The Agony by George Herbert
For every day from Shrove Tuesday to Easter Day, the bestselling poet Malcolm Guite chooses a favourite poem from across the Christian spiritual and English literary traditions and offers incisive seasonal reflections on it. Lent is a time to reorient ...