Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Poetic Licence: â€˜B.C. is Burningâ€™ by Fletcher FitzGibbon
To submit your own poetry, email firstname.lastname@example.org with Poetry Column in the subject line. Include your poem, full name, contact details and bio. Only those selected for the column will be contacted.
- Shelf Life: Reading, writing contests begin this week
As a bonus, the first 150 registrants of the challenge receive a free book ... fiction and poetry. Submissions for contestants are in four age groups: 8-10, 11-14, 15-18 and 19 years and older. The submission deadline for the writing contest is Friday ...
- The Tragic Death of Mark Baumer, a Prolific Poet and Environmental Activist for the Social-Media Age
He produced tens of entries each day on a mess of online platforms, posting poems, photographs, videos of prank calls, minutes-long collages of his daily activities.
- How to Write a Limerick Infographic
Your poem is sure to underperform. While the limerick may have made an early appearance in the reverent context of a prayer of Saint Thomas Aquinas, it was popularized by Edward Lear in nonsense poems for children, and the form later became the playground ...
- Hidden child of the Holocaust to speak on May 11
ROCKAWAY -- Maud Dahme, a hidden child of the Holocaust and a champion of human rights around the world, will be the special guest speaker at the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW) Diversity Cont
- On the Low Wire: Two Fantasy Poems: Larry Fagin (1937-2017): Occasional Poem / I fell in love at Safeway in Paradise
Brenda Larenty, Low Wire, Jimmy Chipperfields Circus 1979, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK: photo by SJM_1974, April 1979 Brenda Larenty, Aerialist, Jimmy Chipperfields Circus 1979, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK: photo by SJM_1974, April 1979 David Hibling, Chimps Jimmy ...
- Albania's broken men fear prison horrors will be forgotten - KAKE
KAKEAlbania's broken men fear prison horrors will be forgottenKAKESPAC, Albania (AP) - Buried in the mountains of northern Albania are crumbling buildings and an old copper mine where political prisoners were once forced to work to exhaustion and even death. The doors and window frames of the infamous Spac prison ...and more »
- Childrenâ€™s Book Club: â€˜The Buffalo Stormâ€™
I had questions as I listened, and those questions grew larger when I had the actual book in my hands. For those of you who are new to childrenâ€™s books, especially picture books, think of a poem, a handful of words on a page. Each word is necessary ...
- Classmates of Teen Shot, Killed in Philly Restaurant Cope Through Poetry
Classmates of a 13-year-old shot and killed back in March inside a Nicetown neighborhood takeout restaurant are learning to cope with his death through poetry. Sixth graders at Jay Cooke Junior High School, where Khiseer Davis-Papther attended, have been ...
- Why W.S. Merwin endures, and other best poetry to read this month
His earlier poems reflect the formal style of the time and are influenced by classical myths, biblical stories and medieval poetry and ballads. Over time, Merwinâ€™s writing became looser and more experimental, eventually dropping all punctuation.
- Ifeoma Ndiolo-Enaholo: My books are like my children
When writing poetry, a poem might look simple and short ... Your latest work, You Too Can, is a motivational book. Why the deviation from fiction that you are known for? I am a versatile person. I am also engaged in training people. I talk to youths ...
- Poetry Sunday: Barb Reynolds
Starkey is a past winner of The Atlanta Reviewâ€™s International poetry competition, a winner of the International Library of Poetryâ€™s Open Poetry Contest and most recently, a winner of the 2016 Carriage House Poetry Prize of Tiferet Journal.
- Phoenix Teen Who Was Born Without a Jaw and Has Never Spoken Finds His Voice: â€˜Iâ€™m Helping Peopleâ€™
Isaiah developed a love for rap and hip-hop music when he was 15. â€œI connect with rap â€” I enjoy the energy of it,â€ he tells PEOPLE through email. â€œAnd Iâ€™ve always loved writing lyrics and quotes and putting down what bothers me into poems.
- Bob Weir Officiated a Wedding Before A Dead & Company Show
According to Page Six, Weir came in and recited a poem before closing with the â€œI doâ€™s.â€ Immediately following the ceremony, the couple and 2,000 of their friends took up an entire section of the stadium to watch the show. Connect With XRT On ...
- Mangaluru: Valley Quadras Wins Kavita Trustâ€™s Mathias Family Poetry Award
Mangaluru, 16 Dec 2017: Konkani poet Valley Quadras has been chosen for the Kavita Trustâ€™s Mathias Family poetry award for the year 2017. The award selection committee appointed by Kavita Trust has announced that the award will be conferred on the poet ...