Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- How Norman Mailer Blurred the Line Between the Literary and the Lurid
And it was sad, in a sense, because it wasnâ€™t Norman ... Eliot who could effortlessly plumb the depths of poetry in a faux-English drawl. But to be any of these things Mailer had to be more than them. He had to have not just great experiences, but ...
- A bounty on my head, Iâ€™m a virtual prisoner in Delhi
Then, on Sunday, I was attacked by a mob of nearly 100 Islamist extremists at a culture festival ostensibly celebrating Urdu poetry and literature. Other progressive writers of Muslim background have faced such threats and quite justifiably left India.
- Oil baronâ€™s â€˜on demandâ€™ erotica collection sells for $9,500
poems, songs, and jokes assembled by Roy Melisander Johnson (1881-1960). Nin apparently tired of Johnsonâ€™s relentless requests for romanceless erotica and recruited friends and colleagues to assist. Novelist and TV writer Bernard Wolfe detailed his work ...
- COWBOY POETRY: A Grandsonâ€™s Loan
My grandson sat down next to me. Said, â€œHow about a loan?â€ I told him that my pocketbook was dang near skin and bone. He probâ€™ly new I had a little money tucked away. Iâ€™d saved for those emergencies we call a rainy day. I quizzed my grandson ...
- The National Poetry Review
The National Poetry Review is an annual online journal of poetry, previously a print journal (2003 to 2015) published by our sister press, The National Poetry Review Press. Distinction, innovation, and linguistic joie de vivre are important to TNPR.
- SUPER KIDS, SUPER MOMS: Good Thunder Reader Series workshop lets kids create, moms vent
In years past, the workshops have gone into places such as assisted-living facilities, where residents composed poems. This year, one of their outreach efforts targets Mankatoâ€™s immigrant community, specifically Muslim women and their children.
- A Poem For Peter: The Story of Ezra Jack Keats and the Creation of The Snowy Day
Join award winning childrenâ€™s book author Andrea Davis Pinkney for a reading of A Poem For Peter. Ms. Pinkneysâ€™ lyrical narrative tells the inspiring story of a boy who pursued a dream, and who, in turn, inspired generations of other dreamers.
- Love and love lost wins judges hearts at poetry contest
After two semi-final rounds of reading poetry, Chloe Keating waited to hear if she would be among the eight high school students who advanced to the Poetry Out Loud state finals. The event, held Saturday at the Myrna Loy Center, determined who among this ...
- Celebrating Derek Walcott, A Caribbean Poet with an Avid Interest in an Unusual Jewish Painter
His poetry draws upon biblical and scriptural sources ... was born in St. Thomas before his family relocated to France. Born Jacob Abraham Camille Pissarro, his mother was a French Jew, and his father was of Portuguese Jewish heritage.
- Things To Do in Texas This Weekend: Mar. 10-12
The event lives up to its name with a weekend chock-full of cowboy-approved entertainmentâ€”including cowboy poetry, cooking classes, dancing day and night, and John Wayne impersonator J.R. Edmonson. This year the live music is split between two stages and ...
- A checklist for every day
read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.â€ Sounds good to me! Funny thing is, Goethe never spoke or wrote it as actual advice â€” itâ€™s a line of dialogue by Serlo, a theater manager, in his ...
- Poetry can aid national transformationâ€™â€™
Mr Mike Ekunno, the Head of media, Nigeria Film Regulatory Authority says poetry can be used to aid national transformation when mainstreamed into national consciousness. Ekunno, a poet and reviewer of the book; â€œPromises on Sandâ€™â€™, said this at the ...
- Carver student eyes national poetry reading championship
Poetry Out Loud is a national competition with a goal of encouraging ... The event also will be live-streamed online. For more information go to www.poetryoutloud.org.
- Review: The Dark Tower, Britten/MacNeice, Orford Church, October 27
The Dark Tower was described by its author as a â€˜parable playâ€™ but he also warned against attempting concrete interpretations. The title derives from the poem by Browning â€˜Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Cameâ€™. Young Roland has been brought up in ...
- Museum Launches MLK50 Drop The Mic Poetry Slam & Symposium Nationwide Call For Submissions and Workshop Proposals
Poetry slam winners may be invited to perform before a national ... Each entrant must submit a YouTube or Vimeo video link in their online entry form. Videos should be no longer than 2.5 minutes. Only one entry per person will be considered.