Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Another colorful, well-attended Richmond Juneteenth celebration - Richmond Standard
Richmond StandardAnother colorful, well-attended Richmond Juneteenth celebrationRichmond StandardThe Richmond community came together Saturday for another colorful and well-attended celebration of African American culture at the Annual Juneteenth Family Day Parade and Festival at Nicholl Park. The event, sponsored by the Neighborhood Block ...and more »
- 'Silly' poems for kids feature in Stourbridge poet's debut book
Johnny â€˜Mogsâ€™ Morris, of Wollaston, is hoping to get children laughing with his newly-released book â€˜Poems Your Parents Wonâ€™t Likeâ€™. The 60-year-old, who wrote his first poem when he was 17, said: â€œIt was never my intention to write a book.
- This third grader's feminist poem has people calling them the â€œGen Z Sylvia Plath"
Originally tweeted out by Arabelle Sicardi, this kidâ€™s poem, entitled â€œThe True Feminine,â€ has ... culture, relationships, friendship, careers, and issues that matter most to young womenâ€™s lives. A platform for writers and artists to create ...
- George Elliott Clarke speaking truth as Canada's national poet
But that doesnâ€™t mean heâ€™s avoiding controversial topics. One of his recent poems was inspired by the Jan. 29 mosque shooting in Quebec City, the aftermath of which has added to anti-Islam discussion even on Parliament Hill. â€œIâ€™m a citizen.
- LIVINGSTON: How we can grow our children to be global citizens
I have read this poem in its entirety dozens of times, created new poems with numerous children over the years and continue to return to the lyrical language that I believe reminds us that we are part of a big world, and how big or small we make it is up ...
- Heartbroken Jermain Defoe breaks down at 'best friend' Bradley Lowery's funeral as the six-year-old's mother pays tribute to her 'superhero in the sky'
A line of Bradley's favourite superheroes - including Batman, Spiderman and Captain America - saluted as the little coffin was carried into St Joseph's church by family and friends ... Bradley's mother Gemma Lowery read a poem which included the line ...
- Bill Murray + his virtuoso musical friends delight at Symphony Center
From oblivion it was on to â€œForgetfulness,â€ an all-too-true and funny Collins poem about the loss of memory and aging, followed by Fosterâ€™s song â€œJeanie with the Light Brown Hair,â€ about the memory of a lost love, and by Van Morrisonâ€™s mind ...
- This is how Urdu poets marked, and remembered, Indiaâ€™s Republic Day
Not content to talk of the shama-parwana-bulbul â€“ popular tropes in conventional romantic poetry â€“ they have constantly evolved new images and metaphors and, over decades, built what can only be called the political muscle of modern Urdu poetry.
- Bill Berkson, San Francisco poet, art critic and teacher, dies - SFGate
SFGateBill Berkson, San Francisco poet, art critic and teacher, diesSFGateâ€œLike dissolving into a '40s movie or then again a dream of a conversation about new art and old jazz standards, these poems are sad and wise.â€ Professor emeritus at the San Francisco Art Institute, where he taught art history, critical writing and ...and more »
- Poetry, music by women of color kicks off Arab museum series
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) â€” A Detroit-area performance of poetry and music by two women of color serves to mark Black History Month and kick off the Arab American National Museum's concert series. The Dearborn museum's Global Fridays series starts its latest ...
- REVIEW: â€˜Ascentâ€™ features photographic poetry of Mount Fuji
The voiceover takes Ascent from an interesting project to a transcendent experience. She couples poetry with prose, telling stories and offering memories. The voiceover is never confusing, interruptive or secondary. Tan and Hasegawaâ€™s words are ...
- Helen Dunmore, no more
Her legacy includes 15 novels, 12 collections of poetry, three books of short stories, 16 magical books for children and eight for young adults. Helen Dunmore, a British poet and historical novelist whose widely praised books were known for their Gothic ...
- Zaitoon Bano, a famous writer of Urdu and Pashto - Radio Pakistan (press release)
Radio Pakistan (press release)Zaitoon Bano, a famous writer of Urdu and PashtoRadio Pakistan (press release)Akhtar Raza Saleemi is a Pakistani Urdu, Hindko and Potohari poet, novelist, writer, critic and editor. His birth name is Muhammad Pervaiz Akhtar. He is a recognized poet of both gazal and nazm. He was Born in June 16, 1974 (age 42), Haripur, Pakistan.
- My 8th Book of Poetry is about to be released! Poems for Hard times!
My 8th Book of Poetry is in the process of being printed. There is a range of poems, love poems, poems of anger and disbelief, poems for the environment and about religion and wonder, spirituality and atheism, Brexit and Trump, social issues and human rights.
- Poet Neil Hilborn on how writing helped him cope with mental illness
How has poetry helped you to deal with mental illness? Is writing like a release for you? Writing is quite therapeutic for me. When I write down my feelings Iâ€™m literally making my internal state external. If Iâ€™m right up against my thoughts inside my ...